Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I think the question is, "get into" what slowly? If you're talking about watch collecting, I would say yes. On the other hand if you're talking about buying to wear as any other piece of jewelry, I would say simply buy what you like. Buying second-hand is a great way to go since most watches depreciate dramatically as soon as you sign the receipt and put them on your wrist. (As I mentioned, this is not so much the case with Rolex and Patek, but most all others.) And of course it's important to know who you're buying from if you're spending thousands on a pre-owned Rolex or other high-end watch. Counterfeits are out there.
Pretty much what I was thinking in regards to collecting, and since I'm at the beginning of my journey. Thank you for the tips! I have a lot to learn before the COVID apocalypse. ?

I get having pieces to use and wear daily but I do like to have nicer things as well.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Have you visited Tourneau or Rolex in NYC? Walk in with a desire. Walk out with the watch of your choice. That's in most cases. There are exceptions of course. As with Porsche, a Rolex can also be optioned to the nines.
Optioned?... :unsure: I learn something new everyday! I new there is a multitude of models but I did not know that within a model there are options!!... :eek:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you visited Tourneau or Rolex in NYC? Walk in with a desire. Walk out with the watch of your choice. That's in most cases. There are exceptions of course. As with Porsche, a Rolex can also be optioned to the nines.
Yes. I was in the Rolex store in Hudson Yards recently, and have bought from Tourneau. I'm in NYC a few times a year. I wish it were that simple.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pretty much what I was thinking in regards to collecting, and since I'm at the beginning of my journey. Thank you for the tips! I have a lot to learn before the COVID apocalypse. ?

I get having pieces to use and wear daily but I do like to have nicer things as well.
Not unlike my Porsche, my watches are all daily drivers! They should be worn and enjoyed!

·
Registered
763 Posts
W
Yes. I was in the Rolex store in Hudson Yards recently, and have bought from Tourneau. I'm in NYC a few times a year. I wish it were that simple.
Where's Hudson Yards? I'm talking about the Wempe Rolex store on 5th. Cash and carry. They don't discriminate. However there are many shops in Manhattan that have Rolex of all stripes and they are willing sellers to anyone that can afford one. Rolex don't grow on trees. One doesn't have to wait for harvest season.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ha. I actually had to google Hudson Yards. That boutique in Chelsea probably won't have everything. But for the right price and not to a "shopper", they'll sell you anything you want.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am 59 years old. I am a native NYer, born and raised. Does that surprise you? :)
Should it?
Look me up when your guy (a Rolex AD) has a new stainless steel ("Oystersteel"), white dial, Daytona he'll sell me. I'll be happy to pay you a handsome finder's fee. I hope we both live that long.

·
Super Moderator
1,275 Posts
Unfortunately (but not for the Rolex company) many Rolexes have become trendy and status pieces so that availability can be low and prices high.

When I bought my Submariner Date for scuba diving (almost 50 years ago--yes, it is a "red") it cost me Can$275. The price was discounted because he had one in stock and would have had to order a non-date version. It's only been off my wrist for servicing--and it now costs FAR MORE to service than the purchase price.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can have one delivered within a week. They're in NYC and very reputable. I've purchased a few Panerai from them. Post pics when you have it. Jomashop
An authorized Rolex dealer can only charge MSRP, which for this watch is $13,150. Unfortunately Jomashop isn't an AD and is asking 2x MSRP for gray market product without a manufacturer's warranty.

Let me know when you find one for sale at a Rolex AD.

·
Registered
763 Posts
An authorized Rolex dealer can only charge MSRP, which for this watch is $13,150. Unfortunately Jomashop isn't an AD and is asking 2x MSRP for gray market product without a manufacturer's warranty.

Let me know when you find one for sale at a Rolex AD.
What's your take on why there aren't many to be had at an AD? I'm interested to hear this.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What's your take on why there aren't many to be had at an AD? I'm interested to hear this.
I wish I knew. Seems to be a closely guarded secret. Plenty of speculation online, and it's been this way for years and years. I suppose most likely a conscious decision on the part of Rolex to ensure demand remains greater than their ability (or desire?) to keep up. Nobody wants something more than something they can't get! Adds to the mystique, akin to a Veblen good.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wish I knew. Seems to be a closely guarded secret. Plenty of speculation online, and it's been this way for years and years. I suppose most likely a conscious decision on the part of Rolex to ensure demand remains greater than their ability (or desire?) to keep up. Nobody wants something more than something they can't get! Adds to the mystique, akin to a Veblen good.
Rolex is in business to sell watches, not create mystique.

You might want to read this article. I've been a WIS (watch idiot savant) ;p for nearly 30 years. Never had an issue with buying grey market. Heck, I've probably bought, sold, traded around 50 - 60 watches and have no less than two dozen in my collection now. I have never once had an issue where the warranty came into play. I wouldn't let the warranty hold you back from owning the watch you desire. It's not like an automobile where lots can go wrong. A broken spring or balance won't break the bank to get repaired. Plenty of qualified places to have that done without having to send it back to Geneva.

As for the Rolex and their warranty. Rolex four years ago amended their warranty. It's still a five year warranty, but it's only extended to the original purchaser. It is no longer transferable. This exacerbated the the problem and contributed to the inflated prices. Along with the rise in the financial markets (more disposable income = higher prices and more people with more disposable income), the idea that the warranty was no longer transferable to a second party, caused many who, like car enthusiasts, need to sell in order to finance a new purchase, to abandon the idea of waiting to get their hands on a watch from an AD. For a while you could pick up a Daytona for less than retail or at retail from a grey market seller because the warranty was on equal terms with buying from an AD. With the change to the terms of the warranty, it now had no value to a guy who knew he was going to be selling in order to finance his purchase of a new VC or AP or what ever. He knew he couldn't pass the warranty on and advertise it that way, so it was just easier to buy grey and call it a day. The grey market guys couldn't be happier with Rolex decision.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Other than I would prefer not to, I have no issue buying grey market goods if that channel presents the best value. About half of the watches I've ever bought new I bought from grey market dealers. Note that I said I would buy a grey market watch if it presented the best value, or at least a good value. But that is definitely not the case with respect to certain highly sought after Rolexes where grey market dealers charge 2x retail and up, as I've mentioned before. I don't need any luxury item so badly that I'm willing to be gouged.

The warranty issue is not a big deal as you point out. My reason for making it part of discussion is that it differentiates a sale through an authorized channel versus one that isn't. That's important of course because an AD must sell at MSRP (or perhaps just slightly less in certain circumstances), whereas I've never seen a grey market Daytona offered by a grey market dealer at anything close to MSRP.

I didn't follow you story of the "guy who knew he was going to be selling in order to finance his purchase...." to be able to comment.

Right you are that Rolex is in the business of selling watches, but they are clearly not in the business of selling watches to everyone. Such is the mystique, and I believe they've created it by design.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I didn't follow you story of the "guy who knew he was going to be selling in order to finance his purchase...." to be able to comment.
Guys who buy, sell, trade watches and in it for the hobby, and not in it as a grey market dealer, would advertise their Rolex watch with "X" number of years remaining on the warranty. It would help their sale because it provided a sense of security to the buyer. These sellers are the guys that would buy, wear sparingly, and then move on to the next latest and greatest, but also need to fund their new purchase with the proceeds from the Rolex. With the change in terms by Rolex, they could no longer do that. It effected the market and the values. All of a sudden, grey market looked even more attractive to someone looking for a Rolex. That's what pushed the grey market prices ever higher as most reputable grey market dealers offer their own warranty which is honored or they lose their customer base. The watch community is rather informed thru sites just like this. It's easy to get info on sellers and even buyers. Any negative comments are usually lasting, with people shying away from those sellers/buyers. Some sites use a rating for buyers and sellers. People openly request info on buyers and sellers.

With they grey market prices moving higher, so too did the secondary market sales prices eventually move higher. I suspect with the current state of World affairs and markets, we may see a reversal of that trend.

I can appreciate you not wanting to pay a premium for a watch that should be available at retail. Unfortunately the World has different values. I used the example of exotic cars, where the same holds true. You may have three quarters of a million to blow on a car, but even if you walk into a dealer with it, you may not come out with the car of your dreams. Some of those cars are reserved for their repeat buyers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can appreciate you not wanting to pay a premium for a watch that should be available at retail. Unfortunately the World has different values. I used the example of exotic cars, where the same holds true. You may have three quarters of a million to blow on a car, but even if you walk into a dealer with it, you may not come out with the car of your dreams. Some of those cars are reserved for their repeat buyers.
That's it exactly, and I just don't want one badly enough to pay 2x. Interestingly enough though, a grey market buyer of a SS Daytona at 2x will be able to get every cent of that back in a secondary market transaction just a few years down the line. I'd just rather not park $26K in a watch. Particularly one I would plan to own forever (and pass down accordingly.)

61 - 80 of 116 Posts