Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Is that the Railroad from Hamilton? I like it and is one been one I've been eyeballing. Still doing my homework and getting schooled on watches, made a Micro Brand purchase with the Dan Henry to satisfy my itch for now. I ended up sending it back because I didn't realize how small 38mm looked on my wrist. They are exchanging it for the 1970 Super Compressor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is that the Railroad from Hamilton? I like it and is one been one I've been eyeballing. Still doing my homework and getting schooled on watches, made a Micro Brand purchase with the Dan Henry to satisfy my itch for now. I ended up sending it back because I didn't realize how small 38mm looked on my wrist. They are exchanging it for the 1970 Super Compressor.
Yes. That is the Railroad Skeleton from the American Classic collection.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am no longer into mechanical watches because they just don't have the accuracy and features electronic devices have. However, circa 1971, I was given a new Movado Datron HS360 Chronograph with date. This watch really appealed to me because of its large size (by early 1970 standards) and appearance and for many years it was my daily driver. It never proved reliable and every year or so it was necessary to send it back to Movado for repair. By 1992 it was relegated to a jewelry box because it was not working, Movado no longer supported it, and my single attempt with a private jewler at fixing it was very expensive and did not last long. The nail in its coffin was hurricane Andrew and the thorough soaking it got with water that must have had high saline content. My wife made an attempt to restore it and present it to me as a surprise but she could not find anyone to do it. It sits permanently stopped at 7:40:01 (AM/PM?) on the 22 of some month. I would get it fixed and wear it but it apparently needs an entirely new mechanism and there does not appear to be anyone that can do it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am no longer into mechanical watches because they just don't have the accuracy and features electronic devices have. However, circa 1971, I was given a new Movado Datron HS360 Chronograph with date. This watch really appealed to me because of its large size (by early 1970 standards) and appearance and for many years it was my daily driver. It never proved reliable and every year or so it was necessary to send it back to Movado for repair. By 1992 it was relegated to a jewelry box because it was not working, Movado no longer supported it, and my single attempt with a private jewler at fixing it was very expensive and did not last long. The nail in its coffin was hurricane Andrew and the thorough soaking it got with water that must have had high saline content. My wife made an attempt to restore it and present it to me as a surprise but she could not find anyone to do it. It sits permanently stopped at 7:40:01 (AM/PM?) on the 22 of some month. I would get it fixed and wear it but it apparently needs an entirely new mechanism and there does not appear to be anyone that can do it.
Agreed the mechanical watches do not have the same accuracy as the quartz counterpart but there is just something beautiful about the mechanical setup. Maybe that is because I am a mechanical engineer.

For low maintenance and daily wear, I also have a handful of Citizens and Casios which sync to the the atomic clock in Fort Collins nightly.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For those of us who are into mechanical watches, I think it's safe to say we don't wear them primarily to keep accurate time (though note that COSC-Certified Chronometers must be accurate to -4/+6 seconds per day.) Rather, they are pieces of jewelry or accessories (and oftentimes heirlooms and/or collectibles that one can wear) that double as timekeepers. I can't agree more that a quartz watch is a must if keeping the most accurate time is what's important. In that case a mechanical watch may be needlessly expensive. But for me, the choice of which I'd rather own isn't even close.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For those of us who are into mechanical watches, I think it's safe to say we don't wear them primarily to keep accurate time (though note that COSC-Certified Chronometers must be accurate to -4/+6 seconds per day.) Rather, they are pieces of jewelry or accessories (and oftentimes heirlooms and/or collectibles that one can wear) that double as timekeepers. I can't agree more that a quartz watch is a must if keeping the most accurate time is what's important. In that case a mechanical watch may be needlessly expensive. But for me, the choice of which I'd rather own isn't even close.
That is kind of the same reason I prefer 6MT over PDK. Haha.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is kind of the same reason I prefer 6MT over PDK. Haha.
I completely agree and that is why I ordered a real manual transmission. However, to my surprise, not everyone understands this. It is also why, if I could get my Movado fixed without mortgaging my home, I would probably wear it daily instead of my Garmin Fenix or the multitude of cheap Casio G-force devices I have; all of which blow the Movado away in every respect.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Here is the Ball. I think this is called the Engineer Master Diver Worldtime. This is the first year version, which they spelled “Dhaka” wrong. View attachment 26286
I watched an interesting video on the history of Ball. All started with a Train accident in Ohio somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it again... unfortunately it was one of those rabbit hole finds and I clear my history frequently. So... I'll have to see If I can recreate the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I watched an interesting video on the history of Ball. All started with a Train accident in Ohio somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it again... unfortunately it was one of those rabbit hole finds and I clear my history frequently. So... I'll have to see If I can recreate the rabbit hole.
Ball did have a long history with railroad time keeping in US. I saw the story you mentioned on Wikipedia.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts