Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to come off as an a$$, but I'm curious why so many soon-to-be owners ask for advice on things like color and cosmetic options for their car - even transmission and other choices in some cases. I assume most folks purchasing one of these cars has successfully negotiated life's challenges and made good decisions along the way. So why ask a stranger about things that only they can decide is right for them? Many respondents to this sort of inquiry have said get what you prefer, which is true. This may be a good experiment in the influence of the herd mentality in social science terms. Maybe some are seeking confirmation of their predetermined selections, or maybe they just can't make up their mind which to me seems strange for someone spending a lot of money on a car.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
222 Posts
I suspect that it is mostly confirmation of their selection ideas. They want to hear someone tell them that they have done a good job. Maybe readers should try telling them that their car will look hideous and they will be the laughingstock of their neighbourhood and see if they change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmmm what a strange post.

Probably because it’s so ridiculously exciting to buy a Porsche and they want to talk about all possible options & choices to likeminded people......and pick up some fantastic information along the way.
And secondly their partner/friends ( who are not into cars) would tell them to bore off !!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
My friends and family all roll their eyes when I talk about this car. I thought the point of a forum was to share interest and excitement about our cars?

why do people go to cars and coffee?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
For technical decisions it make sense to ask people who have done something before. For example, experiences with the reported tall gearing of the manual gearbox or the necessity for having PASM or the comfort of the car as a daily driver. You can't always trust what reviewers and bloggers say. For aesthetics it makes little sense except as a sanity check. Sometime we make decisions and then later regret them. Are you sure you really want a pink leather interior with an orange car? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't mean to come off as an a$$, but I'm curious why so many soon-to-be owners ask for advice on things like color and cosmetic options for their car - even transmission and other choices in some cases. I assume most folks purchasing one of these cars has successfully negotiated life's challenges and made good decisions along the way. So why ask a stranger about things that only they can decide is right for them? Many respondents to this sort of inquiry have said get what you prefer, which is true. This may be a good experiment in the influence of the herd mentality in social science terms. Maybe some are seeking confirmation of their predetermined selections, or maybe they just can't make up their mind which to me seems strange for someone spending a lot of money on a car.
as a future 718 guy, I rate your feedback on real world living with your 718 equal in importance to my 3 fav youtubers, Doug, goose and Matt. So if you don’t want to share your experiences with PDk v 6, not sure what to tell ya.
so for anyone else, should I buy a new base C or a CPO CS?

·
Registered
135 Posts
as a future 718 guy, I rate your feedback on real world living with your 718 equal in importance to my 3 fav youtubers, Doug, goose and Matt. So if you don’t want to share your experiences with PDk v 6, not sure what to tell ya.
I would say it comes down to which one you value more personally: the increased performance or the experience of being the first owner of a brand new car? As for me, I ordered a new base and am extremely happy with that choice. The base is already more performance than I really need in a car, and I just get great personal satisfaction from buying new, which I’m willing to pay for. My base Cayman is also the first car I ever ordered built to my exact specifications, which adds to the whole experience for me. The only downside was the wait time. During the wait, I was tempted to switch to some CPOs that popped up for sale. But now I’m very glad I held out for my exact car. If you, on the other hand, value the extra performance more than newness, the CPO S might be your better bet.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
For what it is worth, I chose a CPO CS.

From a financial standpoint, CPOs are the sweet spot. Some people want a bespoke car and I understand this, however, I am not one of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say it comes down to which one you value more personally: the increased performance or the experience of being the first owner of a brand new car? As for me, I ordered a new base and am extremely happy with that choice. The base is already more performance than I really need in a car, and I just get great personal satisfaction from buying new, which I’m willing to pay for. My base Cayman is also the first car I ever ordered built to my exact specifications, which adds to the whole experience for me. The only downside was the wait time. During the wait, I was tempted to switch to some CPOs that popped up for sale. But now I’m very glad I held out for my exact car. If you, on the other hand, value the extra performance more than newness, the CPO S might be your better bet.
I was really just poking fun with the OP. To be honest my finances will dictate new v used etc. I just find it funny as a newbie his post was the first thing I read. “welcome to 718, now F off”. Lol

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
why have you bothered to write 1000+ posts on here? same thing. People talk and talking is the reason we all exist and work and do things. And in terms of social science, i have my own clinical practice and am a social scientist. Whenever someone writes an ambiguously addressed negative statement, and uses "herd" and other such negative terms, they normally have some issue with being social themselves.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Many above have basically hit the proverbial nail on the head. Ordering a bespoke car is an exciting moment that is for some a once in a lifetime experience and forums like this are a great place to share that excitement and get feedback from other enthusiasts. I've opened two threads for two different builds and claim guilty to this.

However, Porsche offers a level of customisation that is isn't offered until you move to the likes of Aston, Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari etc. So I can only image that the shear level of colour and trim can be exhausting and leave one confused and second guessing.

From an options point of view, i.e PTV, SC etc, this can be very confusing for a first time owner.

However, I will say, I do find it a bit frustrating when someone new comes on, fires off multiple new threads about their order, answers are given and you never hear from them again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I suspect that it is mostly confirmation of their selection ideas. They want to hear someone tell them that they have done a good job. Maybe readers should try telling them that their car will look hideous and they will be the laughingstock of their neighbourhood and see if they change.
Remember the green one with the green wheels somebody posted? Everyone falling over themselves to be nice, instead of being honest and saying it looked like a bucket of warm vomit.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Remember the green one with the green wheels somebody posted? Everyone falling over themselves to be nice, instead of being honest and saying it looked like a bucket of warm vomit.
Ha I remember that one! Wonder if that guy ever actually ordered and received it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think people come here to connect with other like minded folks. It is good to be able to discuss details about options, selections, etc with folks who GET it. My real life friends will not have the same appreciation for the difficult choices one faces while locking in the build. Honestly, I find the community aspect of this forum to be its biggest strength. I have met some great folks here, learned from others and hopefully able to share my experience forward.

Yes, these are very much first world problem questions. That said, this community enhances the experience of buying my dream car and enjoying it.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster S PDK SC
22 Posts
Your car is like your child. It might look like crap to others, but you love it. Who cares?

I personally don't spend time on forums looking for affirmation of my choices, but rather to find out if I am overlooking a easy fix for a problem I have. And if I am bored.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I consulted the board on interior color combinations once I locked on to Miami Blue as the paint color. This board helped steer me away from a graphite blue interior, and from a bordeaux interior that I knew in my gut was a bad combo but badly wanted it to work.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
158 Posts
it's only been 4 short mos. since my 718 (shatzi) came home to live me. when i got her i was
totally unfamiliar with the 718 and pretty much porsche in general. as i bought her site-unseen,
i accepted what i got. it was the advances in technology and auto engineering that befuddled
me. i should have looked at the horse's teeth a little closer before buying her. but.........

in my 50yrs. of driving cars, i only once, (my ferrari) purchased for her color. i'd still put a
premium on what makes the car tick, rather than what color she is.

make no mistake, i'm extremely pleased with my 718! but i could also say, she was a
mail order bride!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts