Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people who buy Porsche’s do not typically have to worry about the price of parts and so Porsche know they can charge a premium for those parts. They're no conjurers of cheap tricks. If the cost of Cayman 718 parts is a genuine concern, you have purchased the wrong car and you really shouldn’t own a Porsche. Porsche parts are expensive because customers are willing to pay that much. It’s a premium brand, and owners are willing to pay premium prices to have their cars serviced. Turns out, Porsche has a long history of quality production. Sometimes Porsche parts are going to be tough to find and with import duties on top of everything, insanely expensive. Personally, I think if Porsche stresses you out financially you should probably get rid of it before you are staring down an insane bill of labor and a seriously expensive part. The way in which Porsche manufacture their cars in my opinion is second to none. The product testing, research and development that go into each model ensures that they can withstand the rigors driving experience. A genuine Porsche part will last much longer than a part built to the same design and not tested in the same manner as Porsche. Porsche part may be 10/15% costlier than another from an alternative non-genuine European parts manufacturer. However, the Porsche part may have 50% more serviceable life in it, giving greater value for money and a 2-year warranty for genuine Porsche parts, unlikely event a genuine Porsche part did fail, Porsche will provide a replacement. I’m extremely happy I owned a Porsche 718 Cayman and I can afford the maintenance that is required.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Most people who buy Porsche’s do not typically have to worry about the price of parts and so Porsche know they can charge a premium for those parts. They're no conjurers of cheap tricks. If the cost of Cayman 718 parts is a genuine concern, you have purchased the wrong car and you really shouldn’t own a Porsche. Porsche parts are expensive because customers are willing to pay that much. It’s a premium brand, and owners are willing to pay premium prices to have their cars serviced. Turns out, Porsche has a long history of quality production. Sometimes Porsche parts are going to be tough to find and with import duties on top of everything, insanely expensive. Personally, I think if Porsche stresses you out financially you should probably get rid of it before you are staring down an insane bill of labor and a seriously expensive part. The way in which Porsche manufacture their cars in my opinion is second to none. The product testing, research and development that go into each model ensures that they can withstand the rigors driving experience. A genuine Porsche part will last much longer than a part built to the same design and not tested in the same manner as Porsche. Porsche part may be 10/15% costlier than another from an alternative non-genuine European parts manufacturer. However, the Porsche part may have 50% more serviceable life in it, giving greater value for money and a 2-year warranty for genuine Porsche parts, unlikely event a genuine Porsche part did fail, Porsche will provide a replacement. I’m extremely happy I owned a Porsche 718 Cayman and I can afford the maintenance that is required.
Your post is not a question. It's a statement. I'd suggest framing the subject that way, not as a question.
MOO

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your post is not a question. It's a statement. I'd suggest framing the subject that way, not as a question.
MOO
I made it a question to draw attention to the post and it does explain why Porsches parts are expensive.
The purpose of a forum is to engage different groups together so they discuss some topic or give the opinion about something and provide useful information that can help another person solve their problems. Its used to engage with others to debate, share knowledge and communicate with others about a wide range of topics with participants who are interested in discussing the post.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"you have purchased the wrong car and you really shouldn’t own a Porsche" - why don't you worry about whether or not you should own a Porsche and let other figure it out for themselves

"the Porsche part may have 50% more serviceable life in it" - where are you getting this data?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec id imperdiet lectus. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse semper luctus placerat. Integer feugiat nunc ac vehicula pharetra. Morbi semper massa diam, a sollicitudin est aliquet ut. Maecenas faucibus tempor mauris, sit amet commodo sapien fringilla eget. Integer viverra sit amet justo non porttitor. Ut vitae urna est. Nam id porttitor justo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with Matt. Your post is a statement however I agree that the idea of a forum is to engage members yet your statement is a little condescending.
Personally, I think if Porsche stresses you out financially you should probably get rid of it before you are staring down an insane bill of labor and a seriously expensive part.
Really????!!!!

I’m extremely happy I owned a Porsche 718 Cayman and I can afford the maintenance that is required.
Bully for you!

When reading your posts I do get the impression you are writing is a different language and simply pressing translate which sometimes makes no sense.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP, I think you enjoy stirring the pot.

I browsed through your post history before generating the above conclusion.

If you didn’t, your posts would tend more towards the Socratic Method.
I stir the pot a bit this morning, just to get some response and opinions. I did get you to respond to my post. Thank You 😁

·
Registered
90 Posts
I appreciate your post!...The price you pay for a Porsche includes the accepted reliability of the machine and the superb, yet costly service. My anecdote has to do with changing from summer wheel/tires to a winter set and visa versa. Monmouth Porsche in New Jersey stores my winter wheel set at "no charge" yet the cost to remount the already balanced wheel sets is more than what your average Mavis Tire Center charges. It's worth it to me. post script- I own a porsche to drive it....not store it in winter!

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
590 Posts
What was the impetus for this statement? lol - did you get some service done recently?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually just had mine serviced for 20k miles at dealership. Mainly because 1st owner didn’t have any service records and Porsche had no record either. I had a PPI on it so I knew it’s condition but I wanted a baseline to start while I own it. I paid the Porsche tax and knew what to expect so I wasn’t surprised at the bill.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't mind that the OP started this thread (or the others) as a statement with his opinion. I'm not the kind of person that would just share my opinion like that, though...but I respect his right to do it nonetheless. Perhaps he's a bit polarizing, but so what?

What I think would be a more fruitful dialogue is how to lower the cost of maintenance or repairs for those that do have an issue with the cost of ownership. I can afford my Cayman and all the costs associated with it...but I'm not the kind of guy that pays someone else to do something that I can (and actually like) to do myself. I find wrenching on cars and airplanes to be therapeutic, and apparently it's saving me lots of money in the process. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually just had mine serviced for 20k miles at dealership. Mainly because 1st owner didn’t have any service records and Porsche had no record either. I had a PPI on it so I knew it’s condition but I wanted a baseline to start while I own it. I paid the Porsche tax and knew what to expect so I wasn’t surprised at the bill.
I find it very ironic that the overwhelming and completely justified enthusiasm for the Porsche Cayman in most forum threads is reversed when the topic takes on dealer yearly service/maintenance costs. I certainly don’t enjoy the idea of throwing money around, but find the idea of ”Porsche tax” to be an acceptable part of ownership. That is of course, unless you are fortunate to be blessed with a sense of mechanical know how. Unfortunately, I typically just have physiological know how....My brain tells my arm to reach into my wallet and hand over a credit card (preferably the one with a cash back percentage). Forty-one days, 16 hours, 55 minutes, and 22 seconds to go!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ahh the Wolfe is back again posting abrasive and rambling comments. If this guy is just a troll then he is certainly doing his job as all of his posts stir up negative emotions in others. If he is not a troll and these posts are genuine then he is just a strange guy. Nonetheless, like rubberneckers passing the scene of an accident I find that I cant simply look away from his posts, and even though I know what I should expect I am still surprised by the unrelenting harshness of his posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mr Wolfe you may be correct that some genuine Porsche parts are better designed/manufactured but not all. Here are two examples I have had experience with where if the Porsche prices was semi reasonable I would buy from the dealer but not with the egregious pricing they are looking for. Before your tell me I should sell my Cayman and buy a Honda Civic, I could afford the Porsche price but why should I.
Spark plugs -Porsche (Bosch) from dealer in nice Porsche boxes $36.00/each, yes each
Bosch (exactly the same plug) from auto parts supplier $36.00 for all 6.
Front hood struts -Porsche $86.00 each
OEM from auto parts supplier $56.00 for set of 2.

Just 2 examples and for a 987 for clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I won't feed the troll...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahh the Wolfe is back again posting abrasive and rambling comments. If this guy is just a troll then he is certainly doing his job as all of his posts stir up negative emotions in others. If he is not a troll and these posts are genuine then he is just a strange guy. Nonetheless, like rubberneckers passing the scene of an accident I find that I cant simply look away from his posts, and even though I know what I should expect I am still surprised by the unrelenting harshness of his posts.
The truth is, I can't please everyone. There will always be someone who disagrees or disapproves with my posts and I have to accept the criticism. I'm delighted Gator that you enjoy my post. 😊

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Mr Wolfe you may be correct that some genuine Porsche parts are better designed/manufactured but not all. Here are two examples I have had experience with where if the Porsche prices was semi reasonable I would buy from the dealer but not with the egregious pricing they are looking for. Before your tell me I should sell my Cayman and buy a Honda Civic, I could afford the Porsche price but why should I.
Spark plugs -Porsche (Bosch) from dealer in nice Porsche boxes $36.00/each, yes each
Bosch (exactly the same plug) from auto parts supplier $36.00 for all 6.
Front hood struts -Porsche $86.00 each
OEM from auto parts supplier $56.00 for set of 2.

Just 2 examples and for a 987 for clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree. It's one thing to accept paying the cost of entry. However I believe, though the majority of people here could afford the "Porsche tax", many like myself, feel foolish paying it when other options are available. Well that's my opinion.

I'd like to know if Mr. Wolfe negotiated the price for his ride when entering the Porsche world. Or did he just say "Here's my wallet. Take what you want."?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts