Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some extremely shallow and fine scratches in my windshield, caused by accidently swiping the wipers on a dry windshield. And of course they are right at eye level and are noticeable when the sun is at a certain angle.

I've heard that they can be removed using a paste of baking soda or toothpaste as an abrasive and gently rubbing. I've also heard the putting clear nail polish on them to fill the scratch and then removing the residual surface polish with nail polisher remover works.

Before, I try something like either of these (and make it worse) anybody have any experience with removing these fine windshield scratches?

·
892 Posts
You can actually buy glass polishing pastes & compounds specifically for that purpose. I haven't needed to use one for a while so can't recommend any brands as such. They tend to require quite a bit of effort as the pastes for use on windshields are understandably very fine. I looked online here & found suitable products straight away, so you shouldn't have any difficulty sourcing something.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently took delivery of mine and it had a scratch from the wiper movement on it. Looks like there might have been a rock or dirt under the wiper when it was activated. I have been doing some research on it and found this product which the dealer is going to purchase and try to fix my scratch with:

CarPro Canada | Premium Coatings & Detailing Supplies CarPro CeriGlass | Auto Obsessed™

Cheers.
Thanks for the information - looks promising. Please keep us informed on how the repair goes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tons of products to use, just clay bar the windshield first, and then get a specific glass compound and follow it up with a rain-X application or something. Glass is one of those things that you can get aggressive with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had success using a polishing compound on my prior car. It will take some elbow grease, but you can successfully remove shallow scratches.

I have some extremely shallow and fine scratches in my windshield, caused by accidently swiping the wipers on a dry windshield. And of course they are right at eye level and are noticeable when the sun is at a certain angle.

I've heard that they can be removed using a paste of baking soda or toothpaste as an abrasive and gently rubbing. I've also heard the putting clear nail polish on them to fill the scratch and then removing the residual surface polish with nail polisher remover works.

Before, I try something like either of these (and make it worse) anybody have any experience with removing these fine windshield scratches?

·
Registered
252 Posts
old thread, but your best bet is to find a pro detailer who has previous experience polishing glass with a machine. You can do it by hand, but it takes forever. If you had a machine polisher (DA or rotary) already, you could do it that way, just get glass polish and a glass polishing pad in the correct size for your machine. Just make sure to clay the glass first to remove any dirt inside the scratches/nicks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I forgot about replying to this thread. My dealer could not polish out the scratches entirely, but they are reduced and almost unnoticeable except in certain light conditions. Definitely can't get a fingernail on it now. I did not want to change out the windshield due to the factory delivery defect, so instead, the dealer gave me $750 in credit.
I was very happy about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts