Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there was something dripping down the drivers side lower fender and the forward leading edge of the drivers door each time I'd go for a drive. At first I thought it was the tire shine the dealer put on the car when delivered. Each time I wiped it off with some detailer and a microfiber I hoped it would be the last of it, only to be greeted with more after another drive.
Took me awhile to finally figure it out. It was windshield washer fluid. The tanks lid does not seal very good and the dealer had it filled to the top. I ended up siphoning out about half of it and the mysterious mess on the fender and door disappeared. On a car that's going to be seeing some pretty good G forces you'd think Porsche would have come up with a better lid design on the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this a light green looking fluid? Slippery but not oily? I just brought my car home Friday and have only had it out once. I noticed this puddle of fluid ( under driver side front section of vehicle ) after bringing car home and again after a quick drive. I contacted my dealer but he claims he wasn't aware of any light green fluid they use. Almost resembles anti-freeze but lighter in color.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is this a light green looking fluid? Slippery but not oily? I just brought my car home Friday and have only had it out once. I noticed this puddle of fluid ( under driver side front section of vehicle ) after bringing car home and again after a quick drive. I contacted my dealer but he claims he wasn't aware of any light green fluid they use. Almost resembles anti-freeze but lighter in color.
I experienced this exact same issue but only once and had forgotten about it. I could not see the color on my garage floor and thought I had overfilled the coolant but was curious why it was leaking in the front.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well that's a disappointment for someone like me who's used to filling their wiper fluid container to the max. Don't think we can improve the seal ourselves...
Wiper fluid color varies depending on its temperature allowance; red, green, blue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brought my car home from the complimentary 10,000 mile service/oil change on Saturday, and over the last couple days, I've noticed a small amount of blue liquid dripping just below the junction of the driver door and the front fender.

I'm not too worried because this issue appears to match what you all have been discussing regarding the washer fluid container.

I didn't notice any overheating or coolant warning lights during the 3 hour drive home from my friend's house yesterday.

The easiest way I see to drain out the fluid is to repeatedly spray the windshield with the control stalk to remove the excess washer fluid. I guess I'll do that and see if this small puddle disappears.

Never had this issue until after the 10k service appointment. I looked at the service sheet and there wasn't any indication of the tech adding washer fluid. Based on their typical hourly service rate, I would expect them to know how to properly fill the washer fluid.

Where exactly is the leak on the washer fluid tank? I didn't notice any fluid coming out of the fill port when I opened the bonnet.

Is the leak coming from where the reservoir connects to the lines that take the fluid to the wipers/headlights?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Always fill my wash wipe reservoir up to max when cleaning my 718.
Never had any problems with it leaking.

·
892 Posts
Always fill my wash wipe reservoir up to max when cleaning my 718.
Never had any problems with it leaking.
Same here & I'd notice any leaking straight away as the garage floor is completely tiled with commercial plastic floor tiles. Any fluid spills just sit on top & need cleaning up. There's nothing from the 718, not even from the A/C (sits in the under tray), whereas the BMW A/C always leaves a puddle on the floor. You couldn't possibly fail to notice if there was any leakage & like Muppet I always fill my washer reservoir to the brim.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Have a similar problem with a BMW SUV. The reservoir is essentialy a narrow rectangular box that is relatively long from front to rear. There appears to be an air vent at the rear (near the firewall) and the filler tube enters the front. My driveway is very slightly sloped down to the street so when parked, facing the garage door, the rear vent is slightly lower than the filling end of the filler tube at the front of the engine compartment. Therefore, filling the reservoir sometimes causes a small amount of fluid to slop out of the vent.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
This is a wide spread issue on many Porsche models including 911 GT cars.
I see it at the track all the time.

When I head to the track, I drain my washer fluid. (saves weight too :) )

·
Registered
584 Posts

Nothing drips to the ground for me; I'm blowing it dry all the way to the back wheel. I recently had my 2 year service, and this will be the second time I'll want to clean this up. Just got back from railing around. The service department has disavowed any knowledge of this phenomenon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed that there was something dripping down the drivers side lower fender and the forward leading edge of the drivers door each time I'd go for a drive. At first I thought it was the tire shine the dealer put on the car when delivered. Each time I wiped it off with some detailer and a microfiber I hoped it would be the last of it, only to be greeted with more after another drive.
Took me awhile to finally figure it out. It was windshield washer fluid. The tanks lid does not seal very good and the dealer had it filled to the top. I ended up siphoning out about half of it and the mysterious mess on the fender and door disappeared. On a car that's going to be seeing some pretty good G forces you'd think Porsche would have come up with a better lid design on the tank.
Just had the 30,000 inspection on my 2017 718. My windshield washer wasn't working for a month so waited until the inspection. There was a kink in the hose and fluid was coming out at the kink. Also coolant cap had to be replaced which they said was a common problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the leak is? I'm two weeks into ownership of a 2020 Cayman and have noticed the same thing, a leak that appears to be coming from the front driver's side. I wasn't sure if it was air conditioning condensation or another fluid as there really isn't very much. The car sat for a few days which gave me a greater sample and I'm pretty convinced it is a lubricant of some type. Feels oily and is tinted a bluish green. I have an appointment at the dealer in a week and 1/2. I have a clean paper towel collecting the drips to show the dealer the color.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you ever figure out what the leak is? I'm two weeks into ownership of a 2020 Cayman and have noticed the same thing, a leak that appears to be coming from the front driver's side. I wasn't sure if it was air conditioning condensation or another fluid as there really isn't very much. The car sat for a few days which gave me a greater sample and I'm pretty convinced it is a lubricant of some type. Feels oily and is tinted a bluish green. I have an appointment at the dealer in a week and 1/2. I have a clean paper towel collecting the drips to show the dealer the color.
Definitely the washer tank. the tank and the filler neck are two pieces and the seal where the neck joins the tank commonly leaks. Mine would leak if it was topped up. I keep the level down below the junction and no leaks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts