Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
Sadly, the New England weather is settling in sooner than I expected...so i'm preparing to garage the car for the winter. I just bought the car in august, and never put away a car for the winter, so what do I do? It will be stored in a heated garage. The salesman mentioned keeping the battery alive so the cars computer systems aren't disrupted. What else is important/suggested? thanks!

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
Great checklist! If I may add, when you have your car professionally cleaned inside and out, ask them to NOT use leather/vinyl conditioners, even if you routinely use them. I let them use conditioners on my wife's BMW the day before before leaving for a two month vacation in Greece this past summer. When I came back to Houston in August, the car had a very strong smell of chemical and all the polished wood surfaces were hazy. It took repeated applications of furniture cleaner and then wax/polish to restore the shine in the old girl's jewels...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I always wondered about these cars being left out during sub zero weather on the dealers lots....I'm sure they start the cars occasionally to move them, but doubtful they were driven...a lot of these cars have summer tires which can't withstand the cold...its like buying a brand new Porsche and parking it in your driveway for the duration of the winter uncovered and without a charger...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I always wondered about these cars being left out during sub zero weather on the dealers lots....I'm sure they start the cars occasionally to move them, but doubtful they were driven...a lot of these cars have summer tires which can't withstand the cold...its like buying a brand new Porsche and parking it in your driveway for the duration of the winter uncovered and without a charger...
Hate to break it to you, but the Porsche dealership doesn't care nearly as much about those cars as you care about yours.

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
Not all summer tires are Extreme High Performance like ours. These other ones do not have the lower temperature sensitivities that ours have. At least to the degree that we have.

A couple of tips, based on my bitter winter experiences in Norway and Austria:

a) Never spray WD40 in your keylocks (if you have them). It can freeze and with it the lock of your car. Use dry lubricant instead (graphite, but be careful, this stuff blackens anything it touches).

b) Wipe down and regrease the actual door latching mechanism with grease for cold weather. I had the rear door of my VW Passat open on a left turn with a three year old strapped next to it and terrified. The dealer the next day apologized profusely because it was a checklist item and they forgot.

c) Spray all rubber seals around the doors and windows with silicone lubricant spray (ask what is approved by the car manufacturer). I had ALL doors of my Forester stuck shut in Austria after a -17C (1.4 F) night. I had to wait for 2 hours for the sun to thaw out one door, so I could get in and start the engine (and the heater). I would have paid a king's ransom for a long extension cable to use my wife's hair drier. Don't force the doors, you will tear the rubber seals.

I've heard of a trick using rubbing alcohol, but I wouldn't use it...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but the Porsche dealership doesn't care nearly as much about those cars as you care about yours.
They may not care in the same way that we care but they have a substantial financial investment in their inventory. They need it to be in a condition where they can sell it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live near Princeton, NJ, and garage my car for the winter because I only have summer tires and can only drive when it's above 45F. While my garage isn't heated, it is insulated and so temperatures are relatively better than outside. I try and turn it over every couple of weeks to try and keep things in working order until the gift of spring. ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I live near Princeton, NJ, and garage my car for the winter because I only have summer tires and can only drive when it's above 45F. While my garage isn't heated, it is insulated and so temperatures are relatively better than outside. I try and turn it over every couple of weeks to try and keep things in working order until the gift of spring. ;)
Porsche and others recommend against starting and running for short periods during extended layups. Recommendation is basically get the car ready with fuel stabilizer & charger, etc... , tuck it away, and don't start again until you're ready to drive again in the spring.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My winterization procedure here in the Denver area is to drive the car at least once every two to three weeks. Fortunately we get plenty of sun in the winter with days well into the 40s and 50s. I just try to make sure it's been several days since they last dropped rocks/sand and salts to help minimize picking that up. The car also has PPF and I also have an undercarriage attachment for my pressure washer to clean the underside.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ugggg. I live in Mass. First Porsche. First winter. Makes me bummed out. I have a WRX for my winter / regular driver. And I already got winter tires/wheels for that so the 718 isn’t going to get out much for a while. Got a CTEK charger and need to get some extra air in the tires.

I‘d probably drive it if we get patches of decent weather but all the sand/salt makes me crazed. I got my car the last day of March 2019 and i was surprised how much salt and sand still on the roads. So depressing. Plus once I drive in the mess I’ll have to do a ”spray” wash to clean it again in the garage. I gotta move. :(

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ugggg. I live in Mass. First Porsche. First winter. Makes me bummed out. I have a WRX for my winter / regular driver. And I already got winter tires/wheels for that so the 718 isn’t going to get out much for a while. Got a CTEK charger and need to get some extra air in the tires.

I‘d probably drive it if we get patches of decent weather but all the sand/salt makes me crazed. I got my car the last day of March 2019 and i was surprised how much salt and sand still on the roads. So depressing. Plus once I drive in the mess I’ll have to do a ”spray” wash to clean it again in the garage. I gotta move. :(
Dave:
It only gets worse the further north you go! It's time to put Iris into the bubble for the winter but I haven't had time. I will say I'm seriously considering either snows or AS for next year. It's really kind of depressing to know that it'll be almost 6 months before we get a chance to drive her again. :cry:

·
Registered
609 Posts

Dave, last year we had snow late in the season, IIRC. Earlier in the winter we had rain events after most of the snow events. That's very why I drove mine off and on w/summer tires. Will have to see how it plays out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It got up to 37F today, so I took Sylvia to the car wash at midday. I know it's sacrilege, but she was filthy and all the outside hoses are shut off so they won't freeze and burst.

Now it's 9PM and snowing again. But tomorrow will be another happy drive in a temporarily clean Cayman. I've got my snow shovels lined up and ready for action. Don't let Old Man Winter push you around.

IMG_1249.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
For those that do drive in the snow, how do you get the salt etc off the sensitive parts (of the car that is).

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
For those that do drive in the snow, how do you get the salt etc off the sensitive parts (of the car that is).

Thanks
Not easily. Matter of fact a sand/salt truck literally just drove down my street! 😢

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Thanks
Thats pretty easy, high pressure wash.
At least once per week at home and after winter i go to a manual wash to overhaul the car.
Salt aint as bad as people think, in Sweden there is salt on the roads for 3 months and none of my cars or Porsches have had any sign on ware.

My 986 have been on winter roads for 15 years and it look Ok underneath

1 - 20 of 48 Posts