Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dave:
It only gets worse the further north you go! It's time to put Iris into the bubble for the winter but I haven't had time. I will say I'm seriously considering either snows or AS for next year. It's really kind of depressing to know that it'll be almost 6 months before we get a chance to drive her again. :cry:
I am in the same boat here in the Chicago area. The one positive is that in the Spring it is like getting a brand new car all over again.:)

·
Registered
525 Posts
This morning I woke the Cayman after a sharp frost overnight. The windows didn't drop when I started the engine and the window motors kept trying for a long time to get them open. However, when closing the door, the door wouldn't shut properly as the window didn't sit right. Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
609 Posts
This morning I woke the Cayman after a sharp frost overnight. The windows didn't drop when I started the engine and the window motors kept trying for a long time to get them open. However, when closing the door, the door wouldn't shut properly as the window didn't sit right. Anyone else had this?
I saw that once or twice last year. IIRC, I helped it out by pushing the glass down. I don't know what the "correct" solution is. It didn't seem to hurt anything. Next time, I am going to try to remember to free the windows just as the temperature falls below freezing if the air has been damp or it has been raining. A hard freeze right after a hard rain is the biggest problem.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ugggg. I live in Mass. First Porsche. First winter. Makes me bummed out. I have a WRX for my winter / regular driver. And I already got winter tires/wheels for that so the 718 isn’t going to get out much for a while. Got a CTEK charger and need to get some extra air in the tires.

I‘d probably drive it if we get patches of decent weather but all the sand/salt makes me crazed. I got my car the last day of March 2019 and i was surprised how much salt and sand still on the roads. So depressing. Plus once I drive in the mess I’ll have to do a ”spray” wash to clean it again in the garage. I gotta move. :(
Well I had prepped the car... put 40 psi in tires, the CTEK has been going for a couple week and then it happened... the fear that I can't wait till spring! So naturally, a day before a forecasted winter storm, I decided to take it for a ride!

Was nice to start her up. I know many don't like the 4Cyl Turbo sound, but I really enjoy it! Fortunately we'd had a lot of rain that washed away much of the salt from a couple weeks ago but the tires were hard as rock and definitely felt quite a bit different when the temps are in the low 30s! Drove it for a while to make sure temps got up and took her out of Sport/Sport+ for a bit just to make sure the oil got good and hot. I'll miss her for a few months.... messy weather is definitely coming!

·
Registered
609 Posts
10-4 about that upcoming storm. (Um, I guess I dated myself with that expression.) Even though I now have winter tires, Michelin Alpin, and was looking forward to driving the Cayman to work on Monday, I think I'll pass on the experience for now. In the first snowstorm of the year so many idiots prove how much they've forgotten about living and driving in the snow belt. Now on Sunday, sleet on Monday, snow again on Tuesday before it all ends. Ugh.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My winterization plan in northern VT is putting on a set of snow tires. Parked the car this morning at the local school, 6°F, got out an ran to the top of the mountain in the background (Mt. Mansfield, highest peak in state). Over 12 miles round trip and 3600' elevation gain, had the trail to myself. Embrace the winter. Drive your Porsche.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If I did this, I would have fallen over dead somewhere in the first mile, but if not, my lungs would have become one big bifurcated ice pack PDQ. Car looks great in the photo there and probably very visible from the mountain top. I, of course, would never know.

·
Registered
609 Posts
@BlueNorther, well done! Nice pic too.

I gave up running about two decades ago, never went more than about 8.5 miles in one shot. But then, twenty years ago I was only 51 y.o. Today all I did was a 22.35 mile bike ride. My water bottle developed ice. But it did not involve my Cayman, alas. It's been snowing for a while now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I was approaching the big five-oh I promised myself to get a Porsche and start regular exercise+weight training . It's been a good combination.

20+ winter bike ride is tough! I've tried it. I actually use bike clothing for running (Pearl Izumi), they know what they are doing to block a cold wind. Try orange juice with vitamin powder (Emergen-C), lowers the freezing point!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Today all I did was a 22.35 mile bike ride. My water bottle developed ice.
20+ winter bike ride is tough! I've tried it. I actually use bike clothing for running (Pearl Izumi)
I respect and admire everyone who enjoys to run. Collegiate lacrosse required painful daily five mile runs through the Third Ward, which were made only slightly less excruciating when dragged along by the ladies track team...and I almost never (intentionally) ran again.

Thank God for mountain bikes, reasonable year round temperatures, and hundreds of miles of challenging trails in this area...or my ticker would have expired by now.

Today, 2.5 hours climbing limestone ledges and crashing trees.

Tomorrow, 1/2 day at COTA with an instructor...first time on a circuit in over 4 decades.

Retirement isn’t for everyone, but it works for me....just please don’t ask me to run.

·
Super Moderator
709 Posts
...Tomorrow, 1/2 day at COTA with an instructor...first time on a circuit in over 4 decades.

Retirement isn’t for everyone, but it works for me....just please don’t ask me to run.
Tell us more about it!... The COTA... I know about retirement.

On another subject, I live in the erstwhile 3d Ward, in Midtown and I bike through the TSU campus to Braes Bayou and onwards to the 610 loop on the Bayou bikeway. You will probably not recognize the 'hood anymore!...

·
Registered
12 Posts
BlueNorther,

I am with you on the best plan for winterizing your 718 is to put snow tires on it and drive it all year. We live in Toronto and put the Michelin Pilot Alpin and they have been great in the snow. I was planning to step down to 18 inch wheels but my tire guy stayed with 19 inch and sourced these Porsche replica wheels which look great - really pleased. The Porsche emblem fit perfectly in the middle of the wheel.

snow tires 2.jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
I admire anyone's ability to drive with the reserve and common sense required of winter's often slick conditions. I am able to do that with four-wheelers I've owned and now own, but something happens when I go out in my Cayman. Kind of a Jekyll and Hyde thing I believe. Well done folks!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts