Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
Does anybody know if the non auto-dimming mirror has the same colored power leads? Brown negative and Black/Red possitive?
Mine is the non auto-dimming mirror. Something I also would add, I had to bend the pins I inserted into the plug 90 degrees because something was interfering with them when I was putting it back up on the roof box. Turns out, I did this a year ago and I've had no issues with a loose connection because of that "interfering" issue.

Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is the non auto-dimming mirror. Something I also would add, I had to bend the pins I inserted into the plug 90 degrees because something was interfering with them when I was putting it back up on the roof box. Turns out, I did this a year ago and I've had no issues with a loose connection because of that "interfering" issue.
Nice, I caught that in the video about bending the tabs slightly.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S
71 Posts
Tapping into my overhead console for power. Tried the blue connector (only one) and got no voltage. Tapped into the connector that connects to the console (see photo) and got power. But this source of power seems to never go off, even an hour after locking.

Thoughts?
Thanks, Vinny
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
I have mine going going through a 12-5v converter and then to a dash cam, which I turn off. So it may be constant power so you can turn on the lights without turning on the car.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S
71 Posts
I have mine going going through a 12-5v converter and then to a dash cam, which I turn off. So it may be constant power so you can turn on the lights without turning on the car.
Makes sense. Worst case scenario I turn off the V1 when I get out of the car. Or switch to a detector with an auto off setting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That fuse is a 5A circuit. I can't imagine that a dash cam, the radar detector, AND the dimming mirror are going to pull more than 1A. Check the specs - 1000mA is only 1A.
For more geekery, I added a "delay turn on relay" to my system so that it starts soft 10 seconds after the car is running. This way it doesn't wig out 2 times while cranking the starter.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S
71 Posts
That fuse is a 5A circuit. I can't imagine that a dash cam, the radar detector, AND the dimming mirror are going to pull more than 1A. Check the specs - 1000mA is only 1A.
For more geekery, I added a "delay turn on relay" to my system so that it starts soft 10 seconds after the car is running. This way it doesn't wig out 2 times while cranking the starter.
View attachment 37268
Are you thinking there's enough juice to run the dash cam as well? (My electrical knowledge is pretty basic, so I'm interested in more expert opinions.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you thinking there's enough juice to run the dash cam as well? (My electrical knowledge is pretty basic, so I'm interested in more expert opinions.)
Get the specs for the power required from your devices. If it needs more than 1.5 Amps, I'd run a separate wire. If (and this is my guess here) it's like 300-500 milliamps (0.3A - 0.5A) I'd run it all off the same circuit. For example: the Valentine One V2 says it uses 5.2 watts (that's only 450 milliamps max) and the stock wiring has a 2A fuse.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S
71 Posts
Get the specs for the power required from your devices. If it needs more than 1.5 Amps, I'd run a separate wire. If (and this is my guess here) it's like 300-500 milliamps (0.3A - 0.5A) I'd run it all off the same circuit. For example: the Valentine One V2 says it uses 5.2 watts (that's only 450 milliamps max) and the stock wiring has a 2A fuse.
The dash cam specs say 1A and some of the dash cam forums report something along the line of 450-500 milliamps. I think I'll err on the side of caution and run it to a different circuit. Thanks for your expertise.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm gonna give this a whirl as soon as my wire tap kit arrives. Has anyone done the tap into a 2021 or 2022 Cayman GTS yet with auto-dimming mirror? Is the blue wire still the right wire for switched power?

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S
71 Posts
I'm gonna give this a whirl as soon as my wire tap kit arrives. Has anyone done the tap into a 2021 or 2022 Cayman GTS yet with auto-dimming mirror? Is the blue wire still the right wire for switched power?
Mine is a Cayman S 2022 and the blue wire was the winner for me. (Brown for negative, of course)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Think I'm gonna run my power from the passenger side fuse box.
Just installed my MaxCam 360c hardwired to the fuse box on the passenger side. Was a breeze to install. Took about 20 mins to install the BlendMount and run the hardwiring kit to the fuse box. The lowest row of fuses are "Switched Power" so when the car is on the fuse turns on the radar detector.
Mirror Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle
Sky Car Plant Automotive lighting Hood
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive design

·
Registered
415 Posts
How’d this go? I’ve always run power into auto-dimming mirrors using a wire tap and Blendmount.

Just upgraded to a Radenso DS1 and waiting for BM to produce a mount + tap, but wanted to be ready when they do. Thx!

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S
71 Posts
I have my V1 using a Blendmount taking power from the overhead console and a dash cam taking power from the passenger footwell fuse box. Both installs are switched power and both were super easy. Was tempted to run both off the overhead console but didn't want to risk pulling too many amps. I'm sure it would have worked fine, but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How’d this go? I’ve always run power into auto-dimming mirrors using a wire tap and Blendmount.

Just upgraded to a Radenso DS1 and waiting for BM to produce a mount + tap, but wanted to be ready when they do. Thx!
Perfect. Easy install. Followed YouTube instructions. Quick and easy. Switched power (I think. I have to double check. Been snowing.)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts