Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a few weeks back, well actually in late December I ordered the CarPlay2Air dongle. Took a heck of a long time to get here - yesterday. So last night I went down to the garage and did the install according to the instructions. They're pretty straight forward. Hook up the dongle to the USB port in the console and then pair it with the phone via BT. The two do their thing, searching and pairing and then link up. Voila! Wireless CarPlay. Man I was happy as a kid on Christmas morning. Still skeptical, I turned off the car, exited and locked it. Then I reentered and let the phone link up again - while still locked - and it worked. Ah man what could be better? But I was still skeptical. Not sure why. So I did the exiting, locking and also turned off BT. I then went upstairs and out of range of the car and then back to the garage for the final test. Turned BT back on, entered the car and started it. The PCM showed the iPhone and device trying to connect, but then nothing. I went thru a bunch of machinations trying to connect the phone again via the dongle, but it was not happening. I put it to rest for the night.

This morning I thought I'd try the update procedure in the instruction manual and also on the CPlay2Air web site. It linked up and updated the dongle via the phone with a direct USB connection. The update worked, but still nothing in terms of CarPlay working. The dongle and phone still had issues connecting. So I did some online searching for others that may have had similar issues, but really didn't find anything worthwhile. However I did find an interesting discussion on the Macon Forum about wireless CarPlay. Link This lead me down a path of soft booting the PCM after deleting my phone from it. Also deleting the car from my phones BT list and rebooting that. Now it gets sketchy from here as I didn't write down exactly what I did, but I believe I first paired my phone with the onboard wifi of the car. It's not actually activated via Connect+, but it did pair. Next I paired the phone to the PCM via BT and suddenly the PCM exhibited the CarPlay message about connecting as an iPod or phone. I selected phone and things were working again. Hmmm? Obviously with my prior experience, I wasn't convinced things were copasetic. So I went thru the prior sequences to test it. I also checked the connection on the phone and it isn't connected via BT. It's connected via wifi and to a wifi named PORSHE80. That is not the name of the internal wifi of the car. Yeah I'm totally confused, but it works like a charm so far. Enter the car with my phone in my pocket. Start her up and the phone links and I have wireless CarPlay. Made a few calls. Did some texting. Checked Waze and even Apple and Amazon Music and all works just fine. But I'm still confused.

Maybe someone can look at the Macon link as they suggested the phone uses wifi to connect wirelessly to the PCM for CarPlay. IDK. It's working and I ain't messing with it, but just thought I'd fill anyone in who is interested, of how things went with this dongle.

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK it seems the dongle forms a network and the phone links to that network. I wanted to take some pics of the phone settings and the screen simultaneously, but the battery on my camera died lol I guess the dongle network is named PORSCHE80. Somehow that's the default name. Not sure how that came to be as I never entered any text anywhere. I guess the pairing via BT did that and then enabled the phone to select it when the PCM comes up. It all still works perfectly though. There is no BT connection between the phone and the dongle when connected. There's mention in the Macon forum thread about using wifi for wireless CP. Maybe there's another way to do this without the dongle.

Here's some pics of the sequence when loading.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Multimedia Electronics
Vehicle Car Multimedia Electronics Technology
Car Vehicle Electronics Multimedia Luxury vehicle

· Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 6MT: Graphite Blue Metallic/Leather Graphite Blue/Chalk SportTex S+Seats
176 Posts
My understanding of how these work is what you wrote in your second post. The dongle connects to the PCM and pretends to be an iPhone so that the PCM would offer up the option of a CarPlay connection. In turn the dongle also connects to your iPhone, definitely over WiFi (that PORSCHE80 network is definitely a hot spot network created by the dongle) and maybe over BT. That's basically it.

From reading about this particular dongle, if it ever doesn't connect, apparently the easiest and quickest thing to do is just to unplug the dongle from the car's USB port and then plug it back in. In theory that should get the dongle and PCM talking again and reestablish the CarPlay connection.

Word of caution though. This is a third-party product, so any update to the iOS could in theory stop this thing from working. I personally thought about getting one, but in my opinion since you still need to plug the phone to charge (as using navigation drains the battery at a good pace) I don't really see the need for one of these. On the other hand, it is somewhat comforting to know that if Apple really gets rid of the lightning port (and for that matter does not replace it with a USB-C port or any other port) in an iPhone in 2-3 years; in theory there should be a way to still use CarPlay through such a product as this, or alternatively, Apple will likely release their own "adapter" -- we all know how much apple loves adapters.

Reactions: Viffermike

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When runnin g around town I'm not really concerned with the charge, even when using Waze or Apple Maps, which is pretty much a requirement for me here in Pittsburgh. I'm new to the town, but even natives need it too, as it's not an easy place to navigate. The phone won't drain down appreciably during these trips. However I do need the convenience of just entering and leaving my car with my phone and not having to go thru the machinations of the unlocking, connecting and disconnecting, when just running into the local CVS or dry cleaner. This is doing exactly what I need it to do. However I believe there's a way to use the cars native wifi to do the same thing. I just don't have the technical knowledge of how to achieve that.

· Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 6MT: Graphite Blue Metallic/Leather Graphite Blue/Chalk SportTex S+Seats
176 Posts
However I believe there's a way to use the cars native wifi to do the same thing. I just don't have the technical knowledge of how to achieve that.
Native Wifi...to do what? There's definitely no Wireless CarPlay support built in to the 718.

· Registered
176 Posts
I'll read through that thread, but judging by this, the 2019 and on Macan officially supports Wireless Carplay: Hands-On With Wireless CarPlay on the Porsche Macan S
If you go to try to build one now on the Porsche site, the 2020 model clearly states that it offers the option for Wireless CarPlay. Looks like Wireless CarPlay comes as an option on the new wide-screen PCMs that the Macan and the 992 have.

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll read through that thread, but judging by this, the 2019 and on Macan officially supports Wireless Carplay: Hands-On With Wireless CarPlay on the Porsche Macan S
If you go to try to build one now on the Porsche site, the 2020 model clearly states that it offers the option for Wireless CarPlay. Looks like Wireless CarPlay comes as an option on the new wide-screen PCMs that the Macan and the 992 have.
Well I think some have earlier models. One poster said the wireless CP isn't outlined anywhere in the manual, but he has it working according to some directions he posted. I believe he has a 2019. Well anyway, I'm happy to have it working with the dongle. Makes the experience so much more convenient=>better!

· Registered
489 Posts
Well on the strength of the mention of carplay2 adapter I’ve just ordered one from USA.
£129 delivered free to UK so ‘really’ looking forward to checking it out

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well on the strength of the mention of carplay2 adapter I’ve just ordered one from USA.
£129 delivered free to UK so ‘really’ looking forward to checking it out
It won't be coming from the US. It's shipped directly from of CHINA. Let us know how it goes when you get it.

· Registered
12 Posts
I’d just like to add my thumbs up,on this device too...didn’t have a clue it existed until I got a Facebook ad in my feed...intrigued enough I ordered one...delivered to my UK address in 5 days.

Very impressed with the ease of connection/setup and dont appear to be struggling with battery on my commute. A long trip may be a different story but there appears to be a USB connector on the device which I assume allows for a charged connection?

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’d just like to add my thumbs up,on this device too...didn’t have a clue it existed until I got a Facebook ad in my feed...intrigued enough I ordered one...delivered to my UK address in 5 days.

Very impressed with the ease of connection/setup and dont appear to be struggling with battery on my commute. A long trip may be a different story but there appears to be a USB connector on the device which I assume allows for a charged connection?
I'm pretty impressed so far. Got into the car yesterday with the phone in my pocket and the dongle and PCM linked up. The PCM went right into CarPlay mode pithing a few seconds. Hopefully phone updates don't break the link and if they do, hopefully the dongle gets updates as they occur.

· Registered
945 Posts
GTS18BGTS, I really appreciate your efforts to communicate your experience with the CarPlay2Air dongle. Thank you. Although nothing will diminish the enjoyment I get out of my Boxster, the requirement for a hard wired iPhone to use car play has always been a sticking point for me. Although I use the Porsche native nav system, Pandora has become my primary source of music and Carplay is essential to make using Pandora and podcasts practical.

Is "Carlinkit" the same as the CarPlay2Air device in the initial post? I searched Amazon for CarPlay2Air and Carlinkit is what is returned. At under $150 I am very tempted to get one and experiment.

If Porsche is making wireless Carplay available in the new models I wonder, assuming its possible, how many gazillion dollars it would take to retrofit my 2019 Boxster?

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GTS18BGTS, I really appreciate your efforts to communicate your experience with the CarPlay2Air dongle. Thank you. Although nothing will diminish the enjoyment I get out of my Boxster, the requirement for a hard wired iPhone to use car play has always been a sticking point for me. Although I use the Porsche native nav system, Pandora has become my primary source of music and Carplay is essential to make using Pandora and podcasts practical.

Is "Carlinkit" the same as the CarPlay2Air device in the initial post? I searched Amazon for CarPlay2Air and Carlinkit is what is returned. At under $150 I am very tempted to get one and experiment.

If Porsche is making wireless Carplay available in the new models I wonder, assuming its possible, how many gazillion dollars it would take to retrofit my 2019 Boxster?
Well I'm not 100% sold on this yet. Yesterday I hopped in the car and it worked without a hitch. Today it was 50 degrees and there was no way I wasn't heading out aimlessly for a drive. This time the phone and dongle had difficulties. It was too nice out for me to sit there and mess with it. I just put the phone in the door pocket and enjoyed the drive. I'll look at it another day.

As for those two being the same? Man I would have no way of knowing. However if I were betting, I'd say there's a good chance they're the same with a different name. I actually don't recall how I came about the CarPlay2Air dongle. It may have been in a thread here or on Rennlist. I do have to say, when it works it works seamlessly and it's a much better experience vs having to take the time to pull out the phone and do the hookup and the rest.

· Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK figured out what was occurring to not allow the dongle to link up to the phone the last time I was in the car. The dongle creates a LAN and uses that to allow the phone and PCM to exchange data. When I'm home the phone is connected to my router. So when I got into the car the other day, it was still connected to the router and could not connect to the dongle LAN.

Today we had another relatively warm day so it was time for another trek with the car to run some errands. Again, the PCM/dongle was looking for the phone, but could not connect. I opened the settings app and connected to the dongle LAN and it connected with no issues. I guess if I want to avoid this, I'd have to remove my home network from the list on the phone. This will allow the phone and dongle to connect upon startup. The alternative is to switch the network manually when starting up the car. Obviously this is only an issue when starting out from home. Once away, when ever I re-enter the car, the phone links up without issue.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
The Home WiFi has bit me a number of times, when the phone needs to connect to the Internet but it is still connected to the Home WiFi rather than the Porsche WLAN and its external SIM card.

· Registered
489 Posts
It won't be coming from the US. It's shipped directly from of CHINA. Let us know how it goes when you get it.
Well it arrived and though I went through all manner of trying to connect, either the phone was connected by BT to the dongle or the dongle was displayed on the pcm, just could not get all three connected at the same time.
Interesting observation in #15 re home Wi-Fi, I’ll try disconnecting that tomorrow and see what happens ?

· Registered
114 Posts
> What does your post mean exactly?
Exactly what I wrote. If you mean that you don't understand what I said then I can explain it less succinctly.

You may have a number of auto joining connections available. The OS cannot easily decide which to choose ...so there is a race condition the outcome of which may be unexpected due differing operating factors. Typically to resolve a race condition you may need to reduce, to one, any of those wifi connections set to auto join - so the 'right' one wins the race and you are connected the way you initially expected. Maybe the longer explanation makes more sense for you albeit possibly TL;DR (too long did not read) :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.