Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My just ordered 2019 718 includes a 9ZE Smart Phone Compartment, QH1 & P40 Nav, and 9WT Apple CarPlay. Although the salesperson was excellent and surprisingly knowledgeable, she did not know if the Smart Phone Compartment supports iPhone wireless charging. Does it?

I am thinking it is only a compartment to hold the phone and provide a passive antenna connection to the exterior of the car however $560 implies it has more function than just this.

· Registered
702 Posts
My just ordered 2019 718 includes a 9ZE Smart Phone Compartment, QH1 & P40 Nav, and 9WT Apple CarPlay. Although the salesperson was excellent and surprisingly knowledgeable, she did not know if the Smart Phone Compartment supports iPhone wireless charging. Does it?

I am thinking it is only a compartment to hold the phone and provide a passive antenna connection to the exterior of the car however $560 implies it has more function than just this.

You are thinking right, it takes over the phone antenna, there is no wireless charging. Porsche options are just expensive ;)

· Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I think I remember a USB port in the compartment. I am wondering how a wireless charger, such as the disc shaped Anker QI certified Power Wave would work in terms of height as the phone would rest on top of the charger disk. Anker advertises a cooling fan as an integral part of the charger so heat dissipation inside the closed compartment might be a problem.

· Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Thanks.

I think I remember a USB port in the compartment. I am wondering how a wireless charger, such as the disc shaped Anker QI certified Power Wave would work in terms of height as the phone would rest on top of the charger disk. Anker advertises a cooling fan as an integral part of the charger so heat dissipation inside the closed compartment might be a problem.
First: Welcome to the forum!

Now: IIRC, wireless CarPlay has not been added to 2019 718 models. I mention this because typically, any wireless charging feature that comes OEM on a vehicle is usually tethered to some sort of expansive wireless functionality such as CarPlay or Android Auto.

Think of it this way:
1). If you'll be using CarPlay, you have to plug the phone in to a 718 via USB. That negates the need for wireless charging since the phone will already be charging via USB.
2). But if you won't be using CarPlay, the only way your phone communicates with PCM is via Bluetooth or WiFi -- and the latter only as a hotspot because telephony and data is handled within PCM4 with a dedicated SIM, thereby negating the need for a smartphone to serve either function. Wireless charging of a peripheral that's not needed makes no sense for Porsche to supply as OEM.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Wireless CarPlay would be nice. Given that the car has Wi-Fi I'm not sure why they don't have it. Not really necessary though. I will say this - the Porsche Techquipment lightning cable is epic. That's a must-have.

· Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wireless CarPlay would be nice. Given that the car has Wi-Fi I'm not sure why they don't have it. Not really necessary though. I will say this - the Porsche Techquipment lightning cable is epic. That's a must-have.

I certainly intend to use Apple CarPlay because I frequently use Pandora in the car and using my phone while driving to change stations or even start Pandora is neither convenient or safe. Apple CarPlay is a must have option for me.

Why do I need the Porche Lightning cable instead of any good quality lightning cable?

· Registered
1,003 Posts
I use the Anker cables for almost everything. But I saw this cable and the tight coils (since space in there is limited, much more so than in the 911) and the swivel on the USB...it is the cable of all cables...for this application.

· Registered
70 Posts
I use the Anker cables for almost everything. But I saw this cable and the tight coils (since space in there is limited, much more so than in the 911) and the swivel on the USB...it is the cable of all cables...for this application.
Thank you @JakiChan! Your memorable description of the Porsche cable made me recall it when I got tired of dealing with tangles or inconvenient length with standard lightning cables. The Tequipment cable, with its short-when-you-want-it, longer-when-you-don't curled cable, is indeed "epic!" :D

It is perfectly sized, to the centimeter, for the phone compartment so never sticks out or gets caught on the lid, and the angled lightning connector and swiveled USB connector turn what was sometimes a fumble-filled chore into a quick click and go. IMO if, like me, you have the phone compartment and regularly use CarPlay, this cable is well worth the small investment. :cool:

· Registered
2,590 Posts
"Lightning cable"? Is that Apple's name for yet another non-standards-compliant idea? Or is this Android user missing something?

The nice thing about standards is you can have so many of them.

· Registered
479 Posts
"Lightning cable"? Is that Apple's name for yet another non-standards-compliant idea? Or is this Android user missing something?

it's the name for the connection n newer iphones. i believe it started with the 5 or 6.

as far as the short cables go, i have one of these in each vehicle and 0 problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771RQL3F/ref=twister_B077391Q72

if one would want something similar to the (i;m relatively sure) overpriced porsche variant i saw this today:

https://www.amazon.com/ONE-PIX-Char...t+apple+cable&qid=1556120312&s=gateway&sr=8-9

· Registered
70 Posts
it's the name for the connection n newer iphones. i believe it started with the 5 or 6.

as far as the short cables go, i have one of these in each vehicle and 0 problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771RQL3F/ref=twister_B077391Q72

if one would want something similar to the (i;m relatively sure) overpriced porsche variant i saw this today:

https://www.amazon.com/ONE-PIX-Char...t+apple+cable&qid=1556120312&s=gateway&sr=8-9
Just a quick FYI/correction: the second cable mentioned above would not work because its description explicitly states that it is not compatible with CarPlay. The Porsche cable, specifically designed for the small and awkward 718 phone compartment and CarPlay compatible, is ~$20 more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.