Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
It means you get the part for free. Just have to ask nicely. I got the recall notice via e-mail (from a watchdog service I subscribe to) and confirmed it with the dealer.

The email was titled (Recall '18 Boxster) and had this recall notice "Wj35 voluntary service action". The dealer confirmed it, hence "official".
See attached image.
OK, just FYI, everyone: @Goldtrom subscribes to a service that looks like it alerts him to recall and service bulletins. This is much, much different than receiving a recall email from either Porsche NA or your respective dealers, so don't freak out that you haven't received an email yet about this.

@Goldtrom: If you would, please contextualize how you learned about the VSA in your thread in the 718 Boxster/Cayman Recalls subforum here. Saying that you 'just got an email about it' is confusing since most will assume you're referring to an email directly from either of the above places.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just received notification of side intake grill recall.

Porsche Safety Service Action WJ35

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just ordered and installed. Less than ten seconds each - like snapping a lid on a jar. I think they make sense; the openings appear to be a point of vulnerability. The price is highway robbery; I think these should have been part of a recall / free distribution.
These ARE part of a recall campaign.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I also received the recall notice. I didn't see anywhere in the notice that it is voluntary. They are calling it a safety recall due to possible ingestion of discarded cigarette or cigar butts and starting a fire in the engine compartment. I don't smoke and I don't tailgate so it ain't gonna be a problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
IMO, it's a pretty deceptive practice by SunCoast Parts to advertise these here, getting users to spend $157 (plus shipping) for them, when they knew fully about this recall.*
I doubt that as a high volume Porsche car, parts and service vendor that they're getting rich off a half dozen sets of side intake grilles.

Reply from Suncoast cut and pasted from elsewhere:

We just became aware of the bulletin, it was released on Friday internally. Obviously, we didn't know that this was going to be a recall campaign. We found these in the catalog in June and ordered at that time. We guessed that they might become standard equipment on future models, but there were no catalog notes on why they exist. We ordered, tested, and figured that this was a smart upgrade. Even some of our employees personally bought them, so we're in the same boat too. If you purchased them from us, please email us at [email protected], and we will see what we can do to help. Not sure how to handle it yet, but we will help in any way we can.

Well I hope we can use this thread to spread the word to 718 owners. We're glad Porsche developed these. It really is a MUST HAVE item for a 718. If you want to know if your 718 is part of the campaign, contact us with your VIN number and we can check it for you.
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: [email protected]

Makes sense to me and gracious of them to offer to help. I'll keep that in mind as plan B if no luck with PCNA directly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
...Also keep in mind that the recall is voluntary...
The envelope containing my "Porsche Campaign WJ35" notification states:

"IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION
Issued in accordance with Federal Law
U.S. Department of Transportation
&
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration"

All bold and pretty like that leads me to believe it is not a voluntary recall.

I've been quite pleased with Suncoast on each of my transactions, and don't fault 'em for trying to make a quick buck on pricey Porsche hardware.
Only hope they don't tell the federales about my clear side markers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Grilles

Porsche issued a recall notice for the installation of these grills (I just received my official notice by mail today).*

In any case, if you don't know about the recall, it covers all 2017 - 2019 Boxsters/Caymans.* Recall: Porsche Safety Service Action WJ35 - Retrofitting Additional Protective Grilles for the Air Intakes.

IMO, it's a pretty deceptive practice by SunCoast Parts to advertise these here, getting users to spend $157 (plus shipping) for them, when they knew fully about this recall.*
Just got my notice to install the grills for free.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I received the recall letter yesterday. I almost ordered the grills from Suncoast and am now quite happy I did not do so as I will be getting them free from Porsche!

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
The envelope containing my "Porsche Campaign WJ35" notification states:

All bold and pretty like that leads me to believe it is not a voluntary recall.
It's a voluntary recall because owners are not being forced to bring their cars in to have the correction made. (An example of a mandatory recall: Takata airbag replacement.)

Both you and I know that when it comes to public safety concerns, the Feds frequently use 'aggressive' language to drive a point home. That language doesn't mean you have to do something, though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Update - just called PCNA - they don't have any info about a reimbursement campaign for those who purchased the grilles before the recall. They took my contact info and are looking into it. No expectations either way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got my notice in the mail yesterday.

The second page was upside down, and the last sentence was “........we are taking this action to help ensure your continued satisfaction with your Porsche Cayenne Diesel model.”

I hope they install the grills with more diligence than when they put the recall notice together.

·
Registered
242 Posts

The second page was upside down, and the last sentence was “........we are taking this action to help ensure your continued satisfaction with your Porsche Diesel model.”

I hope they install the grills with more diligence than when they put the recall notice together.
You have to admit our 718s can kind of sound like a Diesel engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
and the last sentence was “........we are taking this action to help ensure your continued satisfaction with your Porsche Cayenne Diesel model.”
Ha-Ha I didn't notice that before. I did notice that it stated that the installation would take "one to one and a half hours to complete"

????

I remember another member stating that they just popped them in and it only took a minute or two. Maybe the extra time is needed to find something else they can sell you while they have your car hostage.

Reactions: Viffermike
1 - 20 of 99 Posts