Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think one would have to be very delusional not to recognize how incredibly contagious the Covid-19 Virus is. Consider the statistic that 20% or so of those infected get seriously ill. In my mind it is too risky even if it is as low as 1 or 2 % of all those infected die considering how contagious it is. Therefore, I have decided to take this thing seriously and do indeed stay home unless there is a good reason to the contrary (like get food, get dog's sutures removed, etc.). The following article from NY Magazine got my attention as it is very credible (at least in my mind).

Today I canceled my next weeks appointment for the required 10K miles service. The dealer assured me that going over 10K miles and waiting for a more reasonable time to do it would not effect my warranty. So, I am curious, what are others doing now with required service appointments?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm due in May. I will discuss this with my dealer. I apply a risk/reward analysis to my activities now. I'd hate to lose the last two years of my warranty, and I still have some contact with people buying groceries. This may finally make me accept the longer oil change intervals we have nowadays.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dealers closed service in Germany . i guess same in US in the next week - and yes - fully agree - no need for service at the moment

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine is this Thursday. Plan on going unless I hear otherwise. If proper measures are not in place at the dealership I will leave. If so, I will spend my time outdoors looking at cars.

·
Registered
299 Posts
An Inde performed my annual (and brake fluid change) 3 weeks ago in preparation for a COTA track day 8 days ago....of course track day was cancelled due to COVID19 🙁.

Perhaps cancellation was a good thing, because the oil pressure now seems rather high (60 to 66) on heavy throttle or above 4000 RPM. Most posts in our forum threads state these pressures are expected or normal, but they often enter the gauge’s red zone.

The higher pressures are definitely greater than what I recall before the annual. Regardless, I’ve no actual recollection of what the pressures were before.

My understanding is the 2017 BS should take exactly 6 quarts of oil. The Inde charge was for 6.7 quarts. Dozens of oil level measurement indicate full (wish we had an actual stick!).

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
873 Posts
An Inde performed my annual (and brake fluid change) 3 weeks ago....

Should I be concerned?
I would say no. You don't want to rev it up to 6000rpm when it's cold but you wouldn't want to do that anyway. And you don't run it up there and stay there so it isn't pushing 60 psi all the time. If the indicator on the instrument cluster shows the level is okay then just drive it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the oil pressure now seems rather high (60 to 66) on heavy throttle or above 4000 RPM.
Probably okay if they used the correct weight of oil. I used Mobil1 15-50 for years in my 944 Turbo and my oil pressure gauge was always pegged to max. An indie mechanic noticed the pegged oil pressure and thought the gauge was bad. I did some research and then started using Mobil 1 0-40. The oil pressure gauge went back to normal and fluctuated instead of being pegged.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Our dealer is open and is disinfecting all cars before and after service, and will collect and deliover your car from your house if you like. I don't have one planned, but if I did I'd still go and have it done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would say no. You don't want to rev it up to 6000rpm when it's cold but you wouldn't want to do that anyway. And you don't run it up there and stay there so it isn't pushing 60 psi all the time. If the indicator on the instrument cluster shows the level is okay then just drive it.
I always wait until both oil and water temps are in the 190's before letting revs exceed 3500 rpm, so no worries there. Regardless, I plan a few HPDE sessions in the near future (COVID-19 restrictions permitting) and fear extended higher revs could cause high oil pressure related problems.

I'm currently working to determine the oil type and weight the Inde used. If the Inde states 0-40, would you still think all is copasetic for HPDE?

Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Probably okay if they used the correct weight of oil.
I left a message for the Inde to learn the brand and oil weight and will advise. Not sure if the Inde was busy or away due to the virus shutdown. Regardless, will advise.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer comes and gets my car (almost 90 miles away), give's me a free loaner, does the service and inspection and brings back freshly washed. It's a 2017 Cayman S with 4k miles. Dealer is Foreign Cars Of italy out of greensboro, nc... love those guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts