Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
226 Posts
My understanding is that the total programming needs to have a certain average loudness (SPL, dB) during the presentation. Advertisers want more volume to sell their product so the presenters reduce the average volume of the show, allowing more volume headroom for the advertisers. It does seem to have gotten worse recently though.

FWIW
Anything broadcast shares the same maximum PEAK volume level, but commercials will maximize the "loudness" to fill out that headroom. Think of it as you're listening to a trio and suddenly a choir kicks - same volume, but more intensity. I've heard that commercials are louder as they anticipate people going into other rooms - like the kitchen - during commercial break and want the audio heard. It's also for effect - to capture attention in general - you can't miss that glaringly loud volume. Some newer TV's have settings that allow for auto leveling to prevent said ad blasting.

-Mike

226 Posts
Of course the loudness of commercials got so dramatically louder than the programming that it became obnoxious to everyone and in the US, Congress passed the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act to regulate the comparative volumes.
You know what's messed up? Even with the CALM Act the FCC doesn't actively monitor for loud commercials - you would have to file a claim if you think you found one.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
The usual way they make the ads sound 'louder' is to reduce the frequency response so the 'message' can have more volume without increasing the overall loudness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been scouring YouTube listening to a ton of 718 exhaust vids which of course doesn’t always give a 100% accurate representation of exhaust volume and tone. Soul, fabspeed, awe, etc. Listened to then all. What’s odd is that, solely based on the vids, most of them don’t really sound that loud?

Even something like the soul performance exhaust which is just a straight pipe doesn’t sound all that loud in the vids. Are the videos just deceiving?

The AWE track exhaust seems to be the only one that sounds loud and aggressive in the vids that i have heard. Am I missing something here? Is it just my ears?

@gatorfast - So I added from Soul Performance (because I had already changed single exhaust to dual out tips):
Porsche 718 Boxster / Cayman Sport Catalytic Converter Downpipe

And it is AMAZING... I love the sound... It gets that throaty sound and growl when in SPORT mode but when I go to normal mode - nice smooth and not obnoxious.
This is one of the best sounding setups I have had on several porsche's in the past using fab speed stuff. Go with this to start and then if you have to have more you can change the exhaust piece. I am very very happy with my setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been scouring YouTube listening to a ton of 718 exhaust vids which of course doesn’t always give a 100% accurate representation of exhaust volume and tone. Soul, fabspeed, awe, etc. Listened to then all. What’s odd is that, solely based on the vids, most of them don’t really sound that loud?

Even something like the soul performance exhaust which is just a straight pipe doesn’t sound all that loud in the vids. Are the videos just deceiving?

The AWE track exhaust seems to be the only one that sounds loud and aggressive in the vids that i have heard. Am I missing something here? Is it just my ears?
Well, I hit 94 decibels at Laguna Seca on a clear day (this is important) and got black flagged. Loud enough for you? Ever since, I shift after rounding turn 5 in 3rd, up to 5th and stay left. That seesm to do the trick. The car dogs a little but it beats a black flag.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Well, I hit 94 decibels at Laguna Seca on a clear day (this is important) and got black flagged. Loud enough for you? Ever since, I shift after rounding turn 5 in 3rd, up to 5th and stay left. That seesm to do the trick. The car dogs a little but it beats a black flag.
Good tip! I'll be there on August 28 and will try what you suggested.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Soul offers turndown tips. install before track use to reduce the dB.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well, I hit 94 decibels at Laguna Seca on a clear day (this is important) and got black flagged.
I've never been to Laguna Seca so I don't know the overall layout or how they measure volume. Hence I have to wonder two things. No, make that three. How far away? At what angle w.r.t. the car? What was their frequency weighting? To say just 95dB doesn't specify enough to know what it really means nor how loud it is subjectively. I assume they have sound level limits for a reason, but it is meaningless unless they specify it more completely, such as "measured with this SPL meter C-weighted at this location when you drive past turn 6" or something.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I’ve owned many many cars in the past but for some reason this car is quite even with my fabspeed supercup exhaust. Definitely know that the turbo muffles the sound but I think it’s the characteristic of the boxer that also contributes to that.

23 Posts
I’ve owned many many cars in the past but for some reason this car is quite even with my fabspeed supercup exhaust. Definitely know that the turbo muffles the sound but I think it’s the characteristic of the boxer that also contributes to that.
This is true. What model do you drive?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts