Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
no, they are not. they snap in from the outside for the side intakes. i have them and personally don't like the look so i just signed up for the recall as the factory versions are mounted on the inside.

·
Registered
274 Posts
@mazyo ......I have a question or two. I put mine on and then took them off. I was having trouble aligning the large center one correctly. The bottom of one side was set back more than the other. When I tried to push the one side back, the entire grill moved backwards. Any advice you can offer? The two side grills went in easy, even though they do not sit flush in the one corner like I would imagine an OEM would be like. The small thin ones below were the most difficult for me. It is easy to anchor them in on the one side, but I could not get them to seat properly on the upper corner. Even in your photo, they do not appear to be set in entirely....maybe just the way it looks in the photo. I didn't want to force it in. Any advice?

·
Registered
474 Posts
no, they are not. they snap in from the outside for the side intakes. i have them and personally don't like the look so i just signed up for the recall as the factory versions are mounted on the inside.
.. thanks...good to know... ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@mazyo ......I have a question or two. I put mine on and then took them off. I was having trouble aligning the large center one correctly. The bottom of one side was set back more than the other. When I tried to push the one side back, the entire grill moved backwards. Any advice you can offer? The two side grills went in easy, even though they do not sit flush in the one corner like I would imagine an OEM would be like. The small thin ones below were the most difficult for me. It is easy to anchor them in on the one side, but I could not get them to seat properly on the upper corner. Even in your photo, they do not appear to be set in entirely....maybe just the way it looks in the photo. I didn't want to force it in. Any advice?
The large center one was definitely the hardest to install. The length makes it have a little flex. I used the black plastic to line up the grill and made sure the grill was the same distance on each side. They probably should have added a couple more tabs on this one but I went on a 100 mile drive this morning and it stays put. It is the only one that I could remove easily if needed. I think I would take them off every few months to clean anything that may have gotten through.

The small bottom ones are as you described and sit at an angle but are in there good and unless you get a couple feet away(like in my picture) they look strait in person.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I started to instal my front set. Upper front sides went in fine and seem a nice fir. Center doesn’t seems as solid. Not sure if I will leave it. It’s a bit floppy on the bottom. I didn’t bother with the smaller front lower grills. Not so concerned about objects getting in there and damaging radiator.

Do others have the same poor fit with the center grill?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone have any pix of the recall grills? I'm not wild about the idea of installing them if they change the look too much. With the Miami and C sport wheels in black wheels I'd prefer the open look.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Anyone have any pix of the recall grills? I'm not wild about the idea of installing them if they change the look too much. With the Miami and C sport wheels in black wheels I'd prefer the open look.

You don't notice them at all unless you look very closely right inside the air intakes. Took me a minute to see they even changed anything!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do others have the same poor fit with the center grill?
I installed these today and the center grill is for sure a bit concerning. The others are tight and fit well (though, the thin ones took some extra oomph to get set).

IMG_1810.jpeg
IMG_1811.jpeg
IMG_1812.jpeg

·
Registered
320 Posts
The side vent grills don't really look that good. I rather keep the oem look

·
Registered
86 Posts
The side vent grills don't really look that good. I rather keep the oem look
I agree...it's unfortunate. Though, I do think they look better in person, and they are growing on me. They stayed in after install because I couldn't convince myself to let something I spent (good) money on just sit on the shelf.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree...it's unfortunate. Though, I do think they look better in person, and they are growing on me. They stayed in after install because I couldn't convince myself to let something I spent (good) money on just sit on the shelf.
I installed the Zunsport front grills and like the way they're mounted and the look and only purchased the front kit. I didn't like the grills on the outside of the diffuser so I went with grills from the Radiator Grille Store.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The Porsche dealer put some pretty fine grilles in the side vents (as part of a Porsche recall?) free of charge anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anybody tried to remove the recall grilles? Some debris still gets through so it's advantageous to take them out once in a while. I've tried but in true Porsche fashion they fit very snugly and I've applied as much leverage as I'm comfortable applying. Could be I'm just being too cautious.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I installed the Zunsport front grills and like the way they're mounted and the look and only purchased the front kit. I didn't like the grills on the outside of the diffuser so I went with grills from the Radiator Grille Store.
I did the same thing with my base Cayman and the screens really keep the crap out of the intakes. I know this as I'm often pulling big bugs, grass clippings, and leaves off my screens, much more so than the front bumper screens (they seem to collect bug parts).

Reactions: 4ftw

·
Registered
653 Posts
Has anybody tried to remove the recall grilles? Some debris still gets through so it's advantageous to take them out once in a while. I've tried but in true Porsche fashion they fit very snugly and I've applied as much leverage as I'm comfortable applying. Could be I'm just being too cautious.
I tried halfheartedly when I installed my side intake screens. Removal didn't seem intuitive so I left them in place. I haven't noticed any increase in engine temp with both the factory install and my after-market screens so reduced air flow does not seem to be a significant factor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts